The election season has come and gone, but the sorry state of my runner brothers and sisters continues. Their demands have been ignored for far too long. Runners are a minority population and we deserve, nay demand, receive special treatment. We cannot be taken for granted anymore. With the next election in mind, I hereby announce my intention to float a new party which I hereby name RPI(C): Runner’s Party Of India(Coached). The party symbol is as follows:
Slogan: Make India Run Again!
While other parties delay publishing their manifestos, RPI hereby makes public its manifesto which is as follows:
- Runners to have ‘right of run’ on all public roads.
- All street lights on all public roads to remain ON till 30 minutes past daybreak.
- Establishment of special fast track courts for hearing offenses against women runners.
- Formation of RAIL (Race Authority Of India Ltd) which will act as as the regulatory body for all races organized in India.
- A ‘Runner’s Tribunal’ will be established to hear complaints against race organizers.
- Announcement of a new ‘Beti Bachao, Beti Bhagao’ scheme to promote running among girls.
- Companies to give 10 annual ‘Race Leaves’ to all runner employees in addition to the usual sick leaves and casual leaves.
- All runners to be assigned a PBN (Permanent Bib Number) to be used across all races.
- Establish a task force to study the viability of a ‘Recovery Leave’ on the lines of the maternity leave.
- All running related expenses like race entries, shoes, gels, GPS watches etc to be tax deductible, with no upper limit.
- Abolishment of Sales Tax/VAT/GST on all running related items.
- Establishment of GGCI (GU Gel Corporation of India), to stockpile enough energy gels to help runners tide over any shortfalls during peak race season.
- Announcement of a tax deduction in rupees equivalent to the runner’s yearly mileage. Garmin records to be submitted as proof.
- Announcement of a special annual ‘SCMM Yatra’ travel subsidy for all runners.
- ISRO to deploy a special pan-India GPS satellite system so that runners do not have to wait endlessly for the GPS signal.
- All sports injuries to be treated for free at government hospitals.
- Establishment of a new class of national awards for runners, given in accordance with their full marathon times, as follows:
Sub 3: Runner Ratna
Sub 3:30 – Runner Shri
Sub 4:00 – Runner Vibhushan
Sub 5:00 – Runner Bhushan
- Establishment of the ‘Pradhan Mantri Jan Run Yojana’ to ensure access to races in an affordable manner.
- Launch of the ‘Rashtriya Strength Training Mission’ under which 2000 strength training shakhas to be established across India with a goal to develop injury free runners.
- Enforcement Directorate (ED) to be empowered to make sure that runners stick to their training plans.
- Major races like SCMM to be nationalized and run in a smooth efficient manner, just like any other government organization.
- Announcement of the ‘Mid-Day Supplement Scheme’ to support the basic nutrition requirement of runners like vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, protein bars, protein shakes, etc.
- Get a RTC (Right To Coaching) bill passed within 6 months of coming to power.
- Erect a huge statue of Milkha Singh.
- The RTI (Right To Information) Act will be expanded to cover the following:
– Training plans of all elite runners and they will have to file annual mileage returns along with their training plans.
– Race times of all runners. Posting false times on social media will invite a 2 year ban from all races.
- Establish a new ‘Ministry Of Running’ to cater to the needs of all runners, to be headed by a CRO (Chief Running Officer).
So in the next election, remember: “TAI MAI AKKA, VICHAR KARA PAKKA, BUTA WAR MARA SHIKKA”!